Features & Benefits of Electroluminescent Technology
Electroluminescent panels are paper thin laminated panels that illuminate as an electrical current is passed through the panel. Phosphor crystals with coloured overlays are sandwiched between conductors, and as an electrical current is applied, the phosphor crystals rapidly charge and emit light which illuminates the printed overlay.
Electroluminescent lamps are produced in many forms such as Electroluminescent panels, Tape or Wire. The low power consumption makes EL technology one of the most energy efficient light sources available.
Characteristics of the Electroluminescent panels-
- Can be produced to any size or shape.
- Paper Thin - Typically between 0.25mm - 0.5mm.
- Flexibility - Can be applied to a flat or curved surface.
- Strength - Almost unbreakable.
- Reliability - EL does not catastrophically fail as it consist of millions of microscopic crystals.
- Low power consumption - Consumes between 75-90% less electricity than any other light source.
- Efficiency - 80% of energy is converted to light.
- Brightness - Brightness can be varied to suit customer requirements.
- Visibility - Can be seen from far distances in darkness, smoke and fog.
- Low operating temperature - EL is a cold lighting source and does not generate heat due to its
electronic luminous emission.
- No Glare - EL produces a soft even light over the entire surface.
- Landfill friendly - EL does not use any hazardous materials.
- Longevity- Over 30,000 hours depending upon brightness.
- Maintenance free.